Hi there, everybody! I just wanted to give you all a chance to know me. You’ll come to find that I’m pretty much an open book, so hopefully we get to know each other in real life. In the meantime, here’s a primer:
Firstly, you can check me out on Instagram and Twitter. On both platforms, I have the username @mrwisley
If you check me out there, you’ll find that I love my family, and I love my food.
So…your first question is, “Why the heck did you move to Fresno from San Diego?!?” So let’s address that. My wife, Shanah, spent her high school years in Fresno (Clovis West). Her best friends still live here, and her mom lives in Porterville…so she is ECSTATIC to return! One of my prime life philosophies is “Happy wife, happy life!”…so that’s good. Seriously, when I decided to make the move into administration, Shanah and I had lengthy discussions about what we wanted long-term for our family. In San Diego, we just weren’t making ends meet on one salary. We value the slower pace of life in Fresno, and decided that I would apply for jobs both in San Diego and in the Fresno area. We figured that wherever I was offered a job was God’s will for our family. So here we are!
I was born and raised in San Diego (the East County, Lakeside). I went away to Kansas for college: Baker University. A college of 800 in a town of 3,000. I knew I wanted to be a teacher, and applied for the departmental scholarships in both history and Spanish. I was awarded the Spanish scholarship, so that set the course for my career.
I returned to San Diego and taught Spanish at West Hills High School for 16-and-a-half years. My specialty was teaching the freshmen (it’s part of the reason I knew I’d fit in with middle school), and with our transitional program (like Link Crew). I was also the yearbook adviser for 7 years…but that was a life-sucker, so I had to let it go when we had our first daughter.
I have two beautiful daughters. Eden will turn 8 in November, and Emma just turned 5. See my Instagram account (or Twitter) of you want to see who has me wrapped around their little fingers! Eden is starting 2nd grade, and Emma is in kindergarten, both at River Bluff Elementary. We live in NW Fresno, off the 99 and Herndon (near the new Target shopping center).
Some facts about me:
- I’m 38 years old, but my birthday is right around the corner (September 25th).
- I’m excited to already be plugged in at our new church home: the Well (Fig Garden campus).
- I was a pretty darn good water polo player in high school.
- I am a type-1 diabetic (my pancreas died when I was 26). I have an insulin pump (which I love).
- I subscribe to the Paleo diet, but do a horrible job of sticking to it.
- I’m a foodie. I’m pork-centric.
- I was hit head-on by a drunk driver a few years back. Praise God she was only driving a Mini Cooper, otherwise I’d be dead! My right leg was crushed pretty bad, so I have permanent titanium rods implanted there. If you ever see me run, that’s why I’m so bad/slow. If you’d like to read an account of the accident and my recovery, click here. But be warned, there’s a link to gross pictures (it IS possible to read the blog without going to the pictures, but most people end up looking).
- I prefer sour candy to chocolate.
- I like my fries (both at In-N-Out and Red Robin) to be “well done”. But my favorite way to have fries is in poutine (Google it).
- I love the outdoors. I’ve been here a little over a month, and already have been to Kings Canyon three times!
- My favorite color is orange.
- I don’t have any Mexican/Hispanic heritage. I speak Spanish because I like it (and have a gift for languages).
- My favorite words are floccinaucinihilipilification, pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis, and Oaxaca.
- I prefer to use the Oxford comma.
- I’m a techie. You need any help with Google Apps, ask away!
- To cope with life out of San Diego, I engaged in retail therapy. I bought a 60″ TV, and a smoker. I have made a dozen racks of ribs already, and am very proud of my work. I prefer ribs dry, no sauce. With a mustard rub under my secret spice mix.
- I’m a big sports fan: Go Chargers, Padres, Aztecs, and Rock Chalk Jayhawk! I’m diving in with the Bulldogs starting now!
If you’re still reading, wow. I’m looking forward to a great school year! Go Eagles!